Peppermill Green InitativesA A
Green Initiatives and Reducing Environmental Impact
The Peppermill Resort Spa Casino strives to achieve a high level of luxury and environmental sustainability. As part of our movement toward energy conservation and sustainability, we continue to investigate and implement green and alternative energy sources and products that maximize efficiency and reduce our carbon footprint for future generations.
These ongoing steps have included the following programs:
- A complete overhaul of existing geothermal system resulting in a $9.7 million investment in geothermal energy including wells to handle heating for all of the resort’s water and space including new wells on property to supply all water and heating property wide.
- A hydronic system (water) to heat or cool the facility by using a closed loop system. The cold water is cooled by a pre-chill system utilizing outdoor temperatures instead of chillers; the hot water is heated by geothermal energy. In the winter time, we use our cooling towers to cool the return hydronic chill water and then send it through a plate and frame exchanger. The pre-cooling process keeps the Trane chillers shut off which saves the Peppermill approximately $5K per 24 hour period. On the Boiler side, the geothermal will heat our entire facility – keeping our Cleaver Brook boilers shut off, saving the company approximately $1.7 million per year.
- A building management system to control and regulate heating room and water temperatures as opposed to constantly heating the water throughout the day. It is difficult to estimate the savings by having our facility controlled by “Building Control System” (Computer) but the BCS, in conjunction with DDC (Direct Digital Control) stats and VFD’s (Variable Frequency Drive) units, makes our entire control systems 1,000% more efficient than running manually.
- A recent installation of 30 plasma air generators within the mechanical systems throughout the casino resulting in a cleaner, healthier casino environment. Plasma air purification units produce an all-natural bi-polar ionization that significantly improves the casino air quality by neutralizing odors, cigarette smoke, allergens, bacteria and other airborne irritants and inhibiting volatile organic compounds found in carpet, furniture and cleaning agents.
- LED and fluorescent retrofit lighting throughout entire resort The Peppermill obtains a monetary rebate each year from Sure Bet by using low energy bulbs such as LED’s and fluorescents. Peppermill’s average rebate check each year is around $30K, not including the electrical savings. Approximately $350K was spent on changing out our incandescence lighting to florescent lighting, and had a four month return on investment.
- An ongoing property wide water conservation program through room placards encouraging reuse of towels and water conservation and changing guest bed linens and towels per stay on a request only basis.
- Installation of a water recycling system for all laundry services conserving millions of gallons of water each year.
- Use of reusable serving utensils, eating utensils, napkins and tablecloths in all restaurants.
- Creation of a virtually paperless HR department through the implementation of new software systems and transferring all forms and documents into digital applications.
- Shredding and recycling paper receptacles in all administrative offices including our on-site print shop and advertising departments.